How it was...
In the year 1872, the merchant Albert Brogli built in the building which is today "Steinbrück Strasse 4" a tavern "Zum schwarzen Walfisch". The name referred to the drinking song "im schwarzen Walfisch zu Askalon" which was written by the poet Josef Viktor von Scheffel sung often during that time.
The restaurant quickly became a sociable center of many Scheffel-friends and counted in the eighties to the best-attended restaurants of the town of Bad Säckingen. In 1876 the "Walfisch Gesellschaft Säckingen" (Walfischia) was founded there as a company team for the care Scheffel'scher tradition that still exists today. In 1919, the inn was dissolved in the Steinbrückstrasse and the name "Zum schwarzen Walfisch" went on to a restaurant farther north, "The Golden Louse". This building was demolished in 1955.
Even after 43 years the name of the Säckinger traditional restaurant "Zum schwarzen Walfisch" was not forgotten and so the name was transferred in 1998 to today's restaurant "Zum schwarzen Walfisch" at the Cathedral Square and so revived.
In 2008 the owner of the house "Zum schwarzen Walfisch " aquired the house next door to the restaurant "Flora" and augmented both the guest rooms and the hotel area as well. Thus by the name "Zum schwarzen Walfisch" a piece of cultural histroy from the last century is associated until today and it reflects a middle-class society life.